All NBA teams have confirmed their picks as the stars of the future take centre stage at the NBA Draft ahead of the 2018-2019 season.
As anticipated, the Phoenix Suns have officially welcomed Arizona's Deandre Ayton as this year's number 1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft. For the first time in franchise history, the Suns held the coveted first selection, and did not surprise by choosing Ayton with the first selection.
I’m going to let my work ethic speak first,” the 19-year-old said.
“I’m the No.1 pick but that doesn’t mean anything once you’re on the floor you have to show certain respect for the guys who came before you."
The Sacramento Kings held pick 2, selecting Duke power forward Marvin Bagley III.
The Dallas Mavericks made a surprise move, by trading up from No.5 to No.3 for Luka Doncic. In exchange, providing the Atlanta Hawks with the draft rights to Trae Young and Dallas' protected 2019 first-round pick.
While fans of the New York Knicks fans booed their team's first pick, no.9 selection Kevin Knox.
This comes reminiscent of 2015 when Knicks fans famously booed the selection of now-sensation Kristaps Porzingis.
Knox is keeping a level head, however, and refuses to let the fans get inside his head - saying he will use the reaction as extra "motivation" and can't wait to get working hard and earning respect.
The Philadelphia 76ers, meanwhile, drafted locally-born Mikal Bridges from Villanova, only to trade him to the Phoenix Suns a short time later.
2018 NBA Draft Top 10
1. Deandre Ayton (Phoenix Suns)
2. Marvin Bagley III (Sacramento Kings)
3. Luka Doncic (Atlanta Hawks) - traded to Dallas Mavericks
4. Jaren Jackson Jr (Memphis Grizzlies)
5. Trae Young (Dallas Mavericks) - traded to Atlanta Hawks
6. Mohamed Bamba (Orlando Magic)
7. Wendell Carter Jr (Chicago Bulls)
8. Collin Sexton (Cleveland Cavaliers)
9. Kevin Knox (New York Knicks)
10. Mikal Bridges (Philadelphia 76ers) - traded to Phoenix Suns)